Mobile Phone and Social Networking
At Brookdale Day Nursery we promote the safety and welfare of all children in our care. We believe our staff should be completely attentive during their hours of work to ensure all children in the nursery receive the highest quality care and education. To ensure the safety and well-being of children we do not allow staff to use personal mobile phones or other devices during working hours. Where the policy refers to mobile phones it includes all mobile phones as well as any devices that can be worn on your person and operate either independently as a phone or can be synched with your phone, such as watches. We use mobile phones without cameras or internet access supplied by the nursery to provide a means of contact in certain circumstances, such as outings.
We require our staff to be responsible and professional in their use of social networking sites in relation to any connection to the nursery, nursery staff, parents or children. We ask parents and visitors to respect and adhere to our policy.
Staff must adhere to the following:
- Mobile phones and devices can only be used on a designated break in the staff room.
- Mobile phones and devices should be stored safely and securely in the office at all times during the hours of your working day and must be switched off.
- During outings, staff will use the mobile phone belonging to the nursery, which does not have a camera. Photographs must not be taken of the children on any phones, either personal or nursery owned
- Staff must not post anything on to social networking sites such as Facebook that could be construed to have any impact on the nursery s reputation or relate to the nursery or any children attending the nursery in any way
- Staff must not post anything on to social networking sites that could offend any other member of staff or parent using the nursery
- If staff choose to allow parents to view their page on social networking sites this relationship must remain professional at all times
- If any of the above points are not followed then the member of staff involved will face disciplinary action, which could result in dismissal.
Parents and visitors use of mobile phones and social networking
Whilst we recognise that there may be emergency situations which necessitate the use of a mobile telephone, in order to ensure the safety and welfare of children in our care and share information about the child s day, parents and visitors are kindly asked to refrain from using their mobile telephones and devices whilst in the nursery or when collecting or dropping off their children. Parents who are visiting Nursery, in Nursery for settling in sessions or stay and play sessions will be asked to turn their phones off and to store them in the office. A visitor label will be placed on the phone.
We ask all parents and visitors to follow this policy to ensure that information about children, their images and information do not fall into the wrong hands.
Parents/visitors are invited to share any concerns regarding inappropriate use of social media through the official procedures (please refer to the partnership with parents policy, complaints procedures and grievance policy) .
This policy was adopted:
Signed on behalf of the nursery
Date for review